Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Glass Menagerie: My Take

I really enjoy the fact that Tennessee Williams put so much detail into the stage descriptions and characterization, As a techie, and stage manager, every little foot note or italicized word is so important. None of the scripts that I have ever worked with have had as much detail as this one does. The first page and a half alone is just description, such as " At the rise of th4e curtain the audience is faced with the dark, grim rear wall of the Wingfield tenement.  this building is flanked on either side by dark, narrow alleyways..." (p. 1235). Not only does a script like this allow for character development, but it creates an image, almost like a set design written in words. I really like this play because of its attention to detail and description. And now I kind of wish we could perform this play here at Roncalli just so I could help with the sets and the stage layout. This would be a dream come true, because every resource one might need seems to already be listed in the script. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment