Sunday, August 15, 2010

Death

"The place was deserted - no people, no animals - and the only confirmed kill was an old man who lay face-up near a pigpen at the center of the village. His right arm was gone. At his face there were already many flies and gnats. Dave Jensen went over and shook the old man's hand."(p.214)

This section of the book really bothers me. I believe in complete reverence toward the dead, be they enemies or no. So, when the soldiers in this story are almost mocking their 'kill', it is rather uncomfortable for me. I believe that O'Brien includes this to explain that it is how the men cope with the guilt of having killed someone. They have jokes and act as though nothing has happened, as though the man is alive. In this way, they can nearly distract themselves from the fact that the man is dead. I can not ever agree with these actions, but I think I understand why they were taken. I did like that O'Brien refused to participate, as he had a moral conscience. This to me shows strength and is a different form of coping with the deaths they see throughout the novel.

1 comment: