Saturday, August 21, 2010

Food

"I went in and ate dinner. It was a big meal for France but it seemed very carefully apportioned after Spain." (p. 236)

I love this quote. I know to most people it wouldn't stand out much. After spending six weeks in Spain, it becomes very easy for me to sympathize with the quote. In Spain, they pile food on your plate. When you're finished, they ask if you want more. If you say no, they give you more and if you say yes, they pile on more. There is no end to the food. To me, this quote is comical because I ran into the problem more often than not of being full and yet having more bread and dinner and then desert shoved down my throat. Being back in the US was a shock because of how little I eat compared to Spain. I think this must have been the same feeling that Jake underwent in France having a more proportionate meal. Overall, I really only picked this quote because it describes one of the cultural differences that many often do not think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment