Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fear

"She was sitting up now. My arm was around her and she was leaning back against me, and we ere quite calm. She was looking into my eyes with that way she had of looking that made you wonder whether she really ever saw out of her own eyes. they would look on and on after everyone else's eyes in the world would have stopped looking, She looked as though there were nothing on earth she would not look at like that, and really she was afraid of so many things." (p. 34)

 I love this quote with a passion. I feel like there is an extremely deep meaning that I can not completely reach, but I understand some of it. I think Hemingway intends for the audience to understand from the sequence of events directly before the quote and including the quote as well, that Brett has been through a lot in her life. She has been hurt more than most people, and because of it, she looks at the world differently, and in a way, not at all. By not looking entirely at the world, and only seeing what she wants to see, yet in seeing everything at the same time, she can protect herself from harm. Also, this quote says that for all that she had been through, Brett did her best not to let it show, as it was only visible to Jake in her eyes. I believe the last line is my favorite part of the entirety of this novel because to me, it states that for all that had occurred, Brett was still willing to try to see everything possible in the world, even though the world itself terrified her.

No comments:

Post a Comment