Sunday, August 22, 2010

Resolution

"'Oh, Jake,' Brett said, 'we could have had such a damned good time together.'
Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. He raided his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me.
'Yes,' I said. 'Isn't it pretty to think so?'" (p.251)

This is the absolute resolution of this novel. It is THE END, and to me it is kind of vague. Though it is the end, I am left feeling like there ought to be something a little more to end the story. I don't feel like everything was resolved. We know that Brett and Mike are likely done for a while, and that Cohn will probably go back to Frances. I honestly feel like there should be something more to terminate the novel. What happens with Brett and Jake? Where will there friendship go? These questions seem important to me and I think they ought to be answered. Since they are unanswered though, this is the resolution and termination of all that is "The Sun Also Rises."

No comments:

Post a Comment