Saturday, August 21, 2010

Spanish and French

"'Globos illuminados,' Mike said. 'A collection of globos illuminados. That's what the paper said.'" (p. 183)

This is an example of Hemingway's frequent use of vernacular. In this case, "globos illuminados" are lighted globes or fireworks. I like how far those who may not be able to speak language, Hemingway puts the words in an understandable context. This and also the use of French help the reader to feel more as if they are in the settings of France or Spain. Hemingway's choice of vernacular is quite interesting, and I love that it is frequently used and doesn't just use it once or twice each couple of chapters. I believe the use Spanish one of the main attractions for me while reading this book. I was more comfortable with this book because I miss Spain so much, and it provided me with so much that I miss. I believe that without this part of the novel, I would not have loved it as much. In the end, I would like to try reading another novel by Hemingway if there are more over France or better yet, Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment