Sunday, August 22, 2010

Stream of Conscience

"Walking across the square to the hotel everything looked new and changed. I had never seen the trees before. I had never seen the flagpoles before, nor the front of the theatre. It was all different. I felt as I felt once coming home from an out-of-town football game..." (p.196)

I believe this is an example of stream of conscience, though I am not quite certain. I believe this because, although the author is telling this a story, it is an expression of Jake's thoughts. As he goes on, he changes from subject to subject as though a thought process. However, he maintains the appearance of telling a story. Throughout the novel, Hemingway expresses Jake's opinions in this way. In so doing, the stream of conscience is not jumpy as it normally would be in a person, but tells a story. I like how I am able to Jake's thoughts, but not become lost in the process. It gives a sense of better understanding of the character in the novel when the thoughts flow together. In this way, it is easier to read and comprehend.

No comments:

Post a Comment