Thursday, September 9, 2010

Emily Dickinson: I felt a Funeral, in my Brain


Firstly, I feel obliged to say that I have always been an avid reader of Dickinson's poetry. Often times it is read as depressing, but I think there is often a side of light to all of her poetry.


I believe that the central theme of this poem is not completely the loss of one's mind. In my own opinion, it is about the loss of the ability to reason or to deal with a situation. I found this in such details as, "Boots of Lead" and "...then a Plank in Reason broke." Often times, heavy burdens are associated with lead, in this case, her thoughts are dragging and the narrator is burdened down by this. I believe the "Plank in Reason" breaking symbolizes that the narrator can not make a decision, she has lost all ability to reason because of the weight of the situation she is in. The funeral in general is symbolic of the loss of something in her life, possibly the "Mourners" who come and go, but never stay for long. This may cause a sense of hopelessness, which is felt throughout the poem. It is not necessary that the narrator have lost their mind to feel the emotions stated here. It is possible that they are only undergoing a difficult decision and in the process, feel they have lost some part of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment