Thursday, September 16, 2010

I Taste a Liquor Never Brewed: Emily Dickinson

This poem has rather...interesting diction. All of the words are well chosen, as they refer to drinking, brewing liquor, cups, etc. Overall, I find the theme of the poem to be vague, but I believe it is a metaphor. Nevertheless, I will try to explain some of the terms Dickinson uses in this poem.


Vats upon the Rhine: During my group discussion Tuesday, my friend (yay Abby!) said that she thought their were vineyards along the Rhine river. This make me believe that it is referencing a large quantity of alcohol from some origin on the Rhine.

 Debauchee: This is one whom is morally unrestrained. In the case of this poem, it would be someone who could not resist drinking.

 Drams: This word has two definitions. 1) to ply with drink 2) a unit of measure of a liquid. Both of these definitions can apply to alcoholic beverages.
 
 Tippler: a person who tipples/ drams intoxicating liquor. The two words can be used synonymously.

Thus, I believe that all of the words Dickinson chose for this poem had very specific "jobs" in the poem.

1 comment:

  1. Heyheyhey I DID say that! Because I waved at a guy on the mountainside, and he waved baaaack!

    Also: butterfly shots. =]

    ReplyDelete