Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pink Dog: Elizabeth Bishop

I believe the central theme of this poem was to express the plight of the homeless and destitute throughout the world.  I think the pink dog refers to those who are left without much money or essential needs. When one thinks of a dog, more often than not it has some sort of hair. In the same way, a human has clothes. The pink dog is sickly and malnourished, it sits and begs for food. So too do the poor. I believe towards the end, the authors strays from the metaphor and her statements are more literal and to the point about the situation these people face. The dog may be equated to the poor, but after the first 3 stanzas, the author makes blunt statements. However, I do not understand how the end relates to the rest of the poem when it talks about Carnival and Ash Wednesday, I think Carnival is the same as Marti Gras... I'm not sure.


This has nothing to do with anything... i was just listening to it whilst writing this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment