Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Valediction : Forbidding Mourning - John Donne

Valediction is saying farewell. I think this poem is mainly about the loss of someone in one's life. I made this decision based on such things as the lines "So let us melt, and make no noise, no tear-floods, nor sigh-tempests move" and "And whisper to their souls to go." Aside from these 2, there were several more lines referencing death. This separation is looked at in this poem as something that is not eternal. Thus, as in the title, one must not mourn death, but as the poem seems to express, embrace it. The word soul is used repetitively throughout this poem too. Overall, I have liked "Bright Star" and this poem the best of this section. These are less abstract ideas that are easier read and more clearly expressed. Because of this, I feel I have a more detailed understanding of what the author is trying to put across to me, the reader. I really liked the message in this poem, which is timeless, as this poem was written in the 1600's.

No comments:

Post a Comment