Thursday, September 16, 2010

Toads: Philip Larkin


So, I do not really and truly understand this poem. Thus, I am going to try to explain what I do understand, which isn't much.

  1.  There are 2 toads. One of them is a symbol for work and the other may be the man's feelings, but I'm not sure. 
  2. There is a reference to the Tempest. In the poem the quote is: "But I know, all too well, that's the stuff that dreams are made on" In the Tempest, the lines are: "Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff as dreams are made on and our life is rounded with sleep. Sir, I am vexed." I believe this allusion expresses the narrator's irritation and also his hopes and "dreams."
  3. I think the narrator is trying to express how work is taking of his life and how it "squats" in his mind and never leaves.
Overall, I feel like theis poem has a lot of parts and I hope that tomorrow I can get it clarified some. For now, all I can think about during writing this is posting pictures of toads and work and maybe some toads working :) I think it is more distracting working on these blogs late at night.

Oh, I just had an idea! Perhaps the toad is not in fact work, as he refers to the use of wit in life and how he feels he cannot use it. Perhaps the toad is the expectations that authority figures have already set upon him, and his inability to stray from those guidelines. So, now....pictures!


1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh AP lit!
    You should follow my blog!
    http://baumanar.blogspot.com
    :D

    ReplyDelete