Wednesday, April 6, 2011

1984 - THE END

p. 298 "He loved Big Brother."

For one, I can not say that I particularly liked this ending, but in itself, it made sense. In this case, the strategies of the Party won out above all else, even love itself. I feel like this ending shows what pain and the human mind itself can conquer. It is possible for one to change what they remember and what they forget merely by choosing it. In my opinion, it is sad that Winston in the end finally gives in to the Party's teachings. He finally gives up on his past and believes all that he remembers is a fantasy. This is most saddening because he removes memories of happiness with his mother, of which he does not have many.  I wonder myself how this novel might have been different had the ending been different. However, I feel the that the ending chosen had to be, because of the flow of the plot of the novel. The ending truly shows what evil human kind can create and how much corruption power can spawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment