Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Creation - Frankenstein

"It was a dreary night in November that I beheld the accomplishment of my toils. With an anxiety that almost amounted to agony, I collected the instuments of life around me, that I might infuse a spark of being onto the lifeless thing that lay at my feet. It was already one in the mornign; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open, it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated from its limbs." p. 56
It is in my personal opinion that this creation is better than those of the movies. It is not boasting or over developed in discrption. As such, it better fits Victor's character as a whole. He is usually to a degree at least modest. Additionally, he doesn't want others to know the specific details of how he created the monster that he did. In this way, a movie which shows lightning and giant machinery and which has the statement of : "IT'S ALIVE" is not suiting to the story as a whole. Since this moment so much terrified Victor, it only seems right that he should not go into extreme detail, else he need to relive it again. Overall, this interpertation seems more human as well, because he does see the fault in his ways and is regretful instead of prideful.

No comments:

Post a Comment