Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Creature - Frankenstein

""How can I move thee? Will no entreaties cause thee to turn a favourable eye upon thy creature, who implores thy goodness and compassion? Believe me, Frankenstein, I was benevolent; my soul glowed with love and humanity; but am I not alone, miserably alone? You, my creator, abhor me; what hope can I gather from your fellow creatures, who owe me nothing? They spurn and hate me. The desert mountains and dreary glaciers are my refuge. I have wandered here many days; the caves of ice, which I only do not fear, are a dwelling to me, and the only one which man does not grudge." p. 94

To me, it is funny that within this novel there are 3 characters so very similar to each other. Robert, Victor, and his monster are all looking for friendship. They search for acceptance and love, despite their difficulty in finding it with others. I think this is interesting, because each puts so much work towards it that they seem almost to drive that goal, that friends away. On the creature's own part it is more pitiable still. Not only can he find no friend, he can only find enemies. He is so fearsome, that he drives others away, or they he. He may speak eloquently, but it means nothing because of the fear he brings to others. I feel like these similarities are going to continue on throughout the novel. Eventually, they will likely result in some sort of climacticly similar event as well, I believe.

1 comment: