Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Creation's Guilt - Frankenstein

"That is also my victim!" he exclaimed. "In his murder my crimes are consummated; the miserable series of my being is wound to its close! Oh, Frankenstein! Generous and self-devoted being! What does it avail that I now ask thee to pardon me? I, who irretrievably destroyed thee by destroying all thou lovedst. Alas! He is cold, he cannot answer me." p. 207

It is a wonder to me that after all of this time the creation finally expresses guilt for the murders he has done. Though they may have been meant to injure Victor, they ultimately corrupted the creation's self. I also think it is interesting that he refers to Victor as one of his victims, his own creator. These circumstance are few that allow me to now pity the monster, though his acts are fiendish, they do have some small backing. It is clear that the creation understands what love is to a person, and what a lack of it can do as well. He clearly expresses his agony at what he has done, and this emotion must also come from his lack of love. When he goes on to state the pain he felt all along, it seems foolish of him to have continued in the murders. In the end, his preparedness for death is both sad and expected.



This is a rap version of the plot of Frankenstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment