Thursday, April 21, 2011

From the Best of Times to the Worst of Times - Frankenstein

"As yet I looked upon crime as a distant evil, benevolence and generosity were ever present before me, inciting within me a desire to become an actor in the busy scene where so many admirable qualities were called forth and displayed. But in giving an account of the progress of my intellect, I must not omit a circumstance which occurred in the beginning of the month of August of the same year." p. 122

I enjoyed how Mary Shelley expressed the conversion from good to evil in this novel. The monster starts out in a child-like innocence and is filled with love for everything. Though he is attacked, he still searches for love. When he lives in the hovel, he is disgusted by crime. However, when love is taken from him, when he is attacked by what he loves, he revolts and becomes evil. Then, he uses this lesson, the need for love, against his own creator, as leverage. In the end, he regrets this. The process of his change, as seen through his own eyes is deep and quite interesting to me, because of its several levels. It is a complex change, and I really enjoyed seeing how each small event lead to a more dramatic effect on the creation's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment