Thursday, April 14, 2011

Point of View - Frankenstein

"Yesterday the stranger said to me, "You may easily percieve, Captain Walton, that I have suffered great and unparelled misforntunes. I had determined at one time that the memory of these evils should die with me, but you have won me to alter my determination." p. 28

As this story begins, it focuses on the letters of one Robert Walton, the captain of a ship sailing to the North. This First Person POV focuses on his life over a period of month, and the happenings around him. This gives basic character details and leads to the finding of Victor Frankenstein. HE then takes over the story, again in First Person POV, in chapter one. Not only does this POV help to contrast the two characters, it also helps to emphasize their similarities. This also allows for a framestory to be created, adding more depth and color to the novel. The change in POV gives distinct shift in the plotline of the story, but also leaves much to be resolved. I feel that upon the end of Victor's story, Robert's must therefore commence.

No comments:

Post a Comment