Wednesday, April 6, 2011

!984- The Power of the Party

p. 256 "We shall squeeze you empty and then we shall fill you with ourselves."

I feel like this quote may be a bit of foreshadowing of what will happen to Winston before he dies. He will be converted, as  O'Brien has threatened, and then he will be killed. This quote stuck with me, and I feel that if might be because of the violence instilled in it. The word squeeze, in this connotation, is harsh. In my mind I am reminded of a paint tube being squeezed till the very last drop of paint is gone. In this case, O'Brien basically speaks of pushing Winston until all of his self, his personality, his own thoughts, are gone from him. Then and only then can the Party fill him with their own beliefs. Then Winston might convince himself of their truth,because of his own loss of self. The quote summarizes the entire goal of the Party, to rid the World of all but its own beliefs. In this way, I feel like this quote is essential to the novel and the understanding of the Party's goals as a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment